In 1997, he qualified as a surgeon and has been in private practice at Entabeni Hospital in Durban as a specialist general surgeon since 1998. In 2006 he underwent training in laparoscopic obesity surgery (Roux-en-Y gastric bypass) in France followed by an American College of Surgeons Obesity Surgery workshop in Chicago in 2008.
His main area of expertise is laparoscopic surgery although he does consult to the department of Paediatric Surgery at the Univeristy of KZN in Durban and has an interest in hepato-biliary surgery.
He founded the Childhood Cancer Foundation, a support group for parents and children in 2000. This organisation later became CHOC Durban. CHOC is a comprehensive, 14 room, rooming in facility for parents from out of town to be with their children during treatment or palliative care.
- Health Professionals Council of South Africa
- South African Association of Surgeons
- South African Association of Paediatric Surgeons
- Vascular Society of South Africa
- South African Gastroenterology Society
- South African Association of Endoscopic Surgeons
- South African Society for the study of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders
- Hepato-Pancreatic-Biliary Association